I do a recipe card swap over on Bubblyfunk Forum
the theme for January was Soup and Linda sent my this Gordon Ramsey recipe for Spicy Parsnip Soup:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion peeled and chpped
2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground giner
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp gram masala
4 large parsnips peeled and chopped
few knobs of butter
600-800ml hot vegtable stock or water
Sea salt and freshly gound pepper
200ml double cream (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and genly saute the onions for a few minutes. Add the garlic adn spices and stir trhough.
2. Add the parsnips and a few knobs of butter. Give the mixture a stir, cover the pan with a lid and cook over a low heat for 10 - 15 minutes until the parsnips are soft.
3. When the parsnips turn slightly translucent, pour in enough hot stock to cver the vegetables. Bring to the boil and season well. Add the double cream if using.
4. Liquidise the soup ina blender until well pureed. For a very smooth result, pass the soup through a fine sieve, back into the pan. Reheat and adjust the consistsency and seasoning addinga little more hot stock or boiling water if it is too thick.
5. Serve warm witha drizzle of olive oil and a grating of black pepper.
I did follow most of the recipe but I wasn't hanging around waiting for the parsnips to saute to a translucent state - life is too short to stuff a mushroom, as they say! So made sure the butter was melted and mixed it around, then bunged in the stock, stuck the lid on my pressure cooker and cooked it for 20 mins. Didn't use the cream and added some milk after I had pureed the soup with my hand blender. It was very yummy - so I don't think I lost anything by taking a short cut.